Christmas is coming!
As most of you probably have noticed, Halloween and Christmas decorations often arrive in the bigger supermarket chains at the same time. Halloween has been celebrated with lots of spookiness… It is now for the famous Danish “HYGGE”.
Speaking of hygge: In Denmark there are many very “hyggelige” or cozy Christmas markets. Here are just a few of them:
- Near Haslev on Zealand: http://www.gisselfeld-kloster.dk/content/Oplevelser/Motorshow-2013-(2).aspx
- Copenhagen: On Højbro Plads, Nyhavn and in Tivoli most of December.
- Odense: https://www.hcajulemarkedet.dk/
- Aarhus: http://www.aarhusjulemarked.dk/
- Nordsjælland: https://chpevent.dk/event/bernstorff-slot-julemarked
- Dragør: https://www.julidragoer.dk/
And why not trying Malmö Christmas market and the lovely Lucia buns? Shopping Christmas presents “over there” may also be cheaper for certain products ( https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Sweden&country2=Denmark )
An alternative to Christmas markets is going to Ugandavej on Amager to look at the crazy decorations on the private streets in the neighbourhood.
Besides for the “WOW effect” you might be lucky and get also free Gløg!
Speaking of Gløg – Christmas drinks in Denmark are for example “Snaps” (be careful when your Danish colleagues serves this for you at the annual “julefrokost”… it’s STRONG!) and Port which is popular after walking around the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve (the 24th!)
Food… oh well, that’s pretty easy: Duck and flæskesteg with crispy pork rinds, as well as boiled potatoes, caramelised potatoes, brown sauce (gravy) and pickled red cabbage! And then… you can’t move your body for approximately 2-3 hours 😉
Another few Christmas traditions:
- The “Julekalender” on TV: 24 episodes of a Christmas TV calendar. Watched by more than 1 million people… every evening! This years “julekalendre” are “Tinka & Kongespillet” on TV2 and a rerun of “julestjerner” from 2012 on DR1.
- And then of course the ”Disney’s Christmas-show” on the 24th around 4 pm. EVERY kid watches that! And it’s the same cartoons year after year after year after year after….. and we LOVE it 😊
Cheers and Merry Christmas!!
To all of you from all of us,
Team Charlie’s Roof
Ps: If you know someone who would like to have their next Christmas in a new home in Denmark, have them contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can help them find the perfect Danish rental and help them through the entire process!